Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New Tool for for Comparing Customization

The one thing I promised myself when I started this blog is that I wouldn’t use it to simply re-blog about recently released service packs, tools etc. but … this release is just to exciting not to blog about so I’m going to break my rule just this once!

Microsoft in collaboration with  Sonoma Partners have just released a tool to compare customisation files! http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd442453.aspx

This from the Sonoma Blog (Permalink):

Customization Comparison Utility
The Customization Comparison Utility allows you to take two exported customization files (either xml or zip) and display all the differences between the files. You can review any two valid customization files and also export the results to Excel for additional analysis or documentation needs. Similar to many source control systems, the tool displays to you the following:

  • What is identical between the systems
  • What has changed between the systems
  • Exists in the source system, but not the target
  • Exists in the target system, but not the source "

This is going to be a very very useful tool, especially on larger more custom intensive projects :) Now if we can just have a tool that allows us to consolidate configuration from multiple config files, that would be great :)

No comments: